GOOBE

This WORD deserved a post completely dedicated to it.. the word is GOOBE, which in Kannada means owl.
In our day to day life we don’t really talk much about owl’s do we? But goobe is quite often used as swear word, to express your displeasure at someone or something . Similar to calling somebody a monkey or a donkey but goobe is easier and much cuter than those words.

I use it very generously in my day to day activities.I use it (under my breath of course) to curse the driver of the vehicle when he honks too loudly , to the bus which comes late, or to any animate and inanimate object which irritates me through the day.. I even say “ idhondhu goobe” to the lizard on the wall coz I feel it is staring at me or something, forgetting what I was taught in my basic biology class that goobe is a bird and lizard is a reptile.

Its not just famous with me, when I was in a hostel for 3 months during my job training the word caught the fancy of most of my friends who were from other states and who dint know anything in Kannada language.. I used it to scold them the 1st time of course, but instead of feeling offended they fell in love with that word and started using it themselves. They don’t use it only with me but also among them selves! Believe me it was hilarious when once I saw 2 of my friends a Tamilian and Telugite fighting with each other and calling each other goobe’s.. I felt so proud! Err donno why!!..even when my Oriya and Bengali friends use goobe in their day to day talk I realize how far this word has reached.. my eyes are misty!! :P…


What prompted this post?.. my friend who doesn’t know a word of Kannada cursing her slow internet connection thus –“ hey this goobe gmail is troubling me so much” :D

Comments

FlyingHigh said…
yeah goobe has international appeal. And then there are varieties like goobol and goobs. Nice word it is. :D
@ flying high- international?LOL!.. but hey thanks for reminding! i had forgotten the various varities of goobe, some of which u have mentioned!
Changelance said…
You must take this further! :P This sentiment ( goobe,goobol,goobs ) has been recognised and documented for 1000s of years by several philosophers but rarely successfully taught :D It is a lesson that is almost unteachable (Granted many good works are done without this understanding) :D It is almost exclusively obtained by self-realisation at the pinnacle of the hierarchy of needs :)What a gift it would be to be able to teach this to the next Gen X & show them the beginnings of wisdom.. Hope they don’t shoot back “Yeah, you need to get your basics in line before you can start branching out “ :D :D
Ambika Jois said…
What a delightful read :-)) I'm a goobe lover, this just made me smile!

Popular posts from this blog

SRK and me