IPL and me

Ok so IPL…As you know,its everywhere around you. Though Iam seeing, I am not really interested in cricket.. BUT one has no choice but to watch it since everybody else is watching it.. And also coz I cant get the remote to change the channel.

So when the hype and hoopla of IPL started, I was like baaah!.. cricket ,money ,glamour!..players getting auctioned like cows!Such a waste of time,money..blah blah blah..

Ok and after all the tch tch what nonsense phase, its back to business. who is making more money was more important than how.

Since I like organizing things into various categories like "list of things to do on a weekend", "list of reasons why not to do them", etc etc similarly I started paying attention to the various categories into where these "players" will be put into.. who will be in which team etc.

As a bangalorean,it is expected from me to cheer the "Royal challengers"... But no no no, I donot support them...dont you start questioning my patriotism!Ye right, its not patriotism its regionalism.. Its not fair!.Malyalees dont have team so they cant or shouldnt cheer for anybody??.. I would have cheered if the team was called" tulunada sena" or "kudladha jokullu" or something similarliy named after the exact region I hail from.. Iam not supporting some team named after alcohol. AHEM!..ok I am lying.Iam just making up stories. Iam not supporting them coz I dont find the team exciting enough for my tastes.:P paah they all look so boring , most of all the captian. sorry SR :P.. hey btw do you STILL find him hot?

Then came "kolkata knight riders".. I love SRK and bengali food.But I found their gold helmets hilarious! so no no Iam not supporting them.

At this point I asked dad, where is kaifoo?? Rajasthan Royals- he replied.
Rajasthan royals??HUH? there is team by that name? I had not heard of it, and eventually I came to know that no movie star or industrialist owned it. and no Katrina,Akshay or Deepika endorsed it.

well there, that's the team Iam supporting I decided! They were the underdogs, and by the time I had pledged my support for them they had lost their 1st match!:(

The reasons for choosing to support this team are as follows-
1.The tastiest panner butter masala I have ever had till date was in a hotel in peethal camp area of Jaipur around a decade back.

2.I love kaipfffooo(Md kaif)( my parents were startled the 1st time they heard me call him that way, now they are used to it)

3.whats the point in supporting so called strong teams?I shall support the underdogs!

BTW by the time I decided to write this post, RR happened to top the charts. They had beaten all the so called strong and sundry teams! MWUAHAHAHA!and if anybody happens to doubt me and say Iam supporting them only coz they are winning now can ask my dad, he will vouch for my honesty and also will tell you not have any contest with me- betting money types.I DO NOT pay when I loose. He learnt it recently when I lost trying to place Gilly(apna gilchrist) in the proper team, I said he was in chennai while dad said he was in Deccan Chargers and he was obviously correct. But I refused to cough up the 100 rs we agreed as bet. Yes betting on cricket happens at our house too.

OK so as I was saying,this 20-20 is tolerable coz its only 20 overs, so I have been watching some of the matches..

Some of the moments in this IPL tournement I found interesting are:

1.Ambani's looking totally crashed over their teams non performance and the captain of the most costliest IPL team ,Sachin Tendulkar nursing his never healing injury.Iam sure Mr Ambani would have batted himself if he knew how too.. Comeon he can make 100000 rupess from 1Re. So Iam sure he could try with batting too, after all more runs you hit more money you make.

2.The sreesanth-harbhajan spat!.. for a moment I did feel sorry for the bawling sreesanth. But tell me, if anybody were to make such animal like scary faces at you, what would you do? Iam against violence let me clarify but I would, just like bhajji punch a few faces myself... and maybe hug them later and go bhai- bhai.

3.Shilpa Shetty,Juhi Chawla and Katrina Kaif looking lost while cheering for their respective teams.Iam sure they had no idea who or what they are cheering for.

4.SRK gifting each one of his team memebrs with a lappy. That was the mistake he made.Looks like they are all hooked to the new toy and have forgotten to play.No worries, shoaib's coming. OR is it actually more worries??

5.Dhoni's new ad for this watch. Dressed as a tamilian. He is awesome.

And ofcourse let me mention that along with cheering and jeering the teams, I am also looking very carefully at the logo's on the dresses and helmets of the players.All those brands Iam making a note of.Brands adorning the loosing teams especially. Coz Iam going to avoid buying their products in future.All the money they loose here in IPL will be for the consumers to repay. tsk tsk.. one needs to be careful you know?

And finaly since RR dont have any star promoting them, unlike Preity-KP; Shahrukh-KKR; Katrina-RC; Akshay-DD, I humbly appoint myself to the task! :D

Comments

Anonymous said…
i must agree sushma u got more knowledge on cricket than me :P
until now i used to boast i have more knowledge in cric than any other girl..but now i m taking back my word..:)
coming to IPL until now i was only concentrating the game nvr thought all these may be from now ill start thinking all these also..ya i ll make sure ill not buy products sponsering losing teams :P but somehow i m sure nobody is at loss because of this IPL except for the people who r watching it wasting there time as well as money(bets,current bills,extra snacks :P etc)..
team i m suporting u wanna know..
first i thought i shld support sharuk as he is my favourite hero..but i m in chennai and Dhoni is my fav cricketer so thought i hld support chennai super kings ...again but factor..
i m from a.p how can i be without supporting deccan chargers..no heart at all for u :P.. and main factor i never want to be in a loosing team ..so ill be changing teams often comforting myself wats there in state afterall we are indians and so all teams are my teams :P so ill be on the winning side alws..
wats this i m here to comment sth on sushmas blog and here i m writing another blog myself :P may be thats the beauty of sush's blog even a illiterate like me(in writing blogs :p) are ending up writing some nonsense..thanks sush..:)jai bolo sush blogs ki !!![:p]......
FlyingHigh said…
IPL is like match the following for me, teams, celebrities, players, sponsors...who belongs to who is very confusing.

Long before there was so much hype, me and this mumbaikar at work decided to go for one match (I visited ticketpro.in everyday before they annouced the sale of tickets) But then seeing how well both teams did we decided to simply forget it.

RC are losers. Except you see the alcohol maker backing them is from my place (and urs?) so theres some remote connection.

RAHUL DRAVID..I just saw his interview now if it weren't for the garish red RC outfit he was wearing I'd think he was cute. Both the game (20-20) and the outfit don't suit him. He should stay away.

I will read your entire post again once tmrw, theres a lot there I need to pay attention. Will come back tmrw

Tata!
-SR
KB said…
not a single mention abt the cheer leaders?
i watch it for them :D
btw mallya doesnt give a crocodile's ar*e abt how RCB fare in ipl, all he cares abt is the free n easy promotion for his Royal Challenge Whiskey brand...
see how he chose not to name blore team as blore kingfishers as kingfishers is already one big brand by itself!!
KB said…
atleast rahul dravid is not feigning some injury n sitting out like sachin...sachin was more keen abt buyin one ipl team n make money actually but bcci bosses foiled his plans, paapa!!
Changelance said…
This post cracked me up,which I really appreciate since I'm all under the weather today :)

@ RC
Sorry folks u guys sound one pinch of salt far from being a recipe.
You need a crazy fan to drag you to games for a few years until your resistance wears down, or until your team has a good year :D :D

@IPL
Dad ( BCCI ):- (setting the tone) Look son.. It's a brand new toy. Now, there are two things we can use this brand new toy for.It can be a brand new bat for my son, or it can be a brand new paddle for Daddy if my son doesn't behave :D

Son ( ICC {:D} ) :- (cowering in corner) Daddy, can you just hold the bat for me so I don't get in trouble?

Layman : "That's a daily strip, so you can see it's size as an original "
(A short drive, incidentally..)Hehehehe

Your's truly : "Any imperfections disappear when the image is shrunk to publishing size" :) Hands down I love the real charm of wily real cricket played b/w bat & ball than cricket- ainment

@ Media houses
Why such a brouhaha,miscontrol & idiocy with ur religious garbage knowing how stupid the broadcasters & self proclaimed effacing experts & gurus of the game sound when they talk about the pre-review clashes & aftermath match thoughts :O

@ celebrities
If you think about it objectively, their career depends on being fascinating to millions of people..Theirs is false immortality. There is only one personal savior - Money

All jokes aside the cheering celebs are one of a growing breed of people that would make the world a better place if they had never been born :D :D

@ icon players
Even if u had a few lakhs for your weekly allowance from the game u shouldn't be publicly embarrassing urself in ways no one has ever even dreamed of .. Its so nauseating for ur admirers to see guys faring so awfully in this context of game :O

@ Buddy
Wonderful post! Too awesome for more words than this.. Love the flow ! keep 'em coming :) :)
Anonymous said…
a verry gd post by d realistic dreamer...kudos d her!!
nd reagrding d IPL it is probably nw givin ekta kapoor a tough competition 4 d prime slots(!)
in between these, most sufferer is d game nd d cricketers, probabaly one day ONLY money wl speak nd d rest wl b silent observers..
@sajani- thank you!very sweet of you :D
i may know more about it, but i dont even have 1% of the interest u have on cricket! i remember how u used to rush after class and sit and watch matches without even resting for 5 mins! :P

@Flying high- lol!@ the match the following thing :D.. its the apt word for it!.. and yes RC's are loosers!.. its proved now!

@kb-i dint mention it on purpose!! :P and hey never thought about it in that angle- u know? RC not yet a brand name so it was used instead of kingfisher..But i think maybe they would have played better if they were named bengalooru boys or something!

@Lokesh-Thanks a bunch for the appreciation! and oh u found it funny? :D thanks! i was trying to be! :P..btw i do think u should blog!.. i mean it in a good way :) u have so much to say, would love to know your opinions on different issues!

@shouvik-Thanks! :D.. hey ye! ekta kapoor's sure loosing her trp's! but ipl is for a limited time, while her serials are never ending! so wont make much difference to her i guess! :D

Popular posts from this blog

GOOBE

The "that " chapter of my life

SRK and me