“marley & me” and ME

when I asked my best friend to bring me a good book to read as I was feeling a bit low lately, I was not very serious. But she promised me she would get me a “make u feel good” book. True to her word she did. So the following week when we met she handed over to me this book “marley & me”. I looked at it with not so much of interest. A book about a dog? Oh! well ok… she had a dog of her own, so she would like it but me? I have an aversion to animals.. no I don’t hate them, but I don’t like them either.. except for baby animals.. I like them but from a distance.. be it baby dogs, baby elephants, baby cows or even baby cockroaches( yes I have never killed a baby cockroach with the broom.. I leave them to scamper away).. My closest encounter with a puppy was when I was 6. I walked in to a neighbour’s house and had encountered their new “just got from store” puppy lunging at me with the delight of a long lost friend! I had let out a scream so loud and had run so fast , that my “embarrassed” mother dint speak to me for 2 whole days…
so hmm a book abt a dog?.. I dint read it rite away.. stalled for sometime.. and when again I entered into my "feeling very low" phase this weekend, I finally picked it up.. the book is easily one of the best books I have read until now... maybe its not intellectually classy or booker winner kind of a book.. but to make a reader, even a non animal lover feel good? Oh! It does! Makes u feel great!!.. connects u with the raw emotion deep inside u.. and I did learn quite a few things from marley… just don’t care if u aren’t perfect, love people even if they don’t love u back.. live life to the fullest and be happy... :)

and one day I will own a Labrador.. just wont let it drool over my face,that’s it!
And mission accomplished, the book which was intended to make me feel better, did just that… :)

Comments

KB said…
y u feelin low? everythin alright?
even if u hate animals dnt kill them!! :P
FlyingHigh said…
Nice write up this...these Marleys of the world I tell can be a handful but they are so adorable. I love the way the story is told, witty and warm just the thing you need when you are feeling low :)

-Shradha
@ kb- huh? ok whatever :P

@ flyinghigh- thanks! :D the book's awesome..soo warm!:)
Changelance said…
Marley & Me is a must read for anyone who has ever loved a dog... At the beginning I was laughing and shaking my head at Marley's antics, and at the end, I was sobbing as Marley's life drew to a close. John Grogan truly captures the joys and sorrows of canine companionship.Its an unvarnished look at the joys and tribulations of sharing your life with a dog. Grogan's account of his young family's first alfresco dining experience with Marley in tow had me laughing so hard I was afraid I'd wake the neighbors :D As they say, No pain, no gain =)Defintely Grogan's gain -- and the reader's too -- is Marley, a Hall of Fame dog if there ever was one :)
ye lokesh, its so beautifully written... john grogan deserves a big THANK YOU from my side atleast for helping me know marley :)

Popular posts from this blog

GOOBE

The "that " chapter of my life

SRK and me